Best Brush for Long Haired Cats: A Guide to Grooming Tools
This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
It is standard for cats to spend 30% to 50% of their waking hours grooming. Yet, your long-haired companion still leaves your home covered in fluff—cue grooming tools. Let’s look at the best brush for long haired cats!
Grooming accessories help you keep the cat’s hair under control with regular cleaning and trimming sessions. They include brushes, combs, and scissors. With the proper kit, you can keep your pet’s fur shiny and free of tangles and mats.
Read on to learn the benefits of grooming and the factors to consider when shopping for a suitable brush. We’ve reviewed many grooming tools from Chewy to help you find the best brush for long haired cats.
The product we recommend for long haired cats is the Four Paws Magic Coat Professional Slicker Cat Bush as it’s made from good quality materials, is well designed, and is easy to use.
The Benefits of Grooming Your Cat
Here are the advantages of grooming your cat. Regular grooming can improve your pets health as it will help reduce fur balls. Brushing your cat will also reduce shedding which will allow you to have a cleaner home and less allergens.
Grooming helps you remove loose and tangled hair from your cat. In addition, it reduces the fur that ends up as hairballs in your little pet’s stomach.
Consistent grooming lets you remove dead hair, reducing shedding and formation of mats. Sunlight influences shedding cycles, with indoor cats experiencing more frequent fur loss than outdoor ones. Grooming helps minimize the constant state of shedding caused by indoor temperature controls.
Related Article: Cats That Don’t Shed: Hypoallergenic Cat Breeds
Helps You Deal With Allergies
Studies show that 10% to 20% of the global population is allergic to cat allergens. Regular grooming ensures you stop loose fur from being all over your house. Cleaning the falling hair from your cat and your room reduces exposure to allergens.
Maintains a Cleaner Home
You can adequately groom your cat and dispose of the removed fur to keep your home clean. Moreover, vacuuming after a grooming session enhances cleanliness, eliminating loose hair that flies away to surrounding spots.
Best Brush for Long Haired Cats
Here are our recommendations for grooming products available on Chewy.
- Four Paws Magic Coat Professional Series Gentle Slicker Wire Cat Brush (Great for removing loose fur)
- Mr. Peanut’s Hand Gloves Dog & Cat Grooming & Deshedding Aid (Easy to use grooming mits)
- Pet Republique Dematting Rake (Best for matted fur)
- Frisco Beginner Grooming Kit for Dogs & Cats, 4-pack (Excellent value)
- Catit Self Groomer with Catnip (Time-saving)
The Four Paws Magic Coat slicker brush is designed and manufactured to a professional standard. It’s perfect for cats and small dogs with all types of fur but works particularly well on long-haired cats. The product has flexible wire bristles, which can help detangle hair, remove dirt and maintain a healthy coat.
The brush has been designed with your cat’s wellbeing in mind and won’t harm sensitive skin. This product has a non-slip plastic handle, allowing owners more control when grooming their pets. The bristles are made from wire, which can penetrate and detangle long, thick fur and is perfect for working out mats. It also effectively removes dead and loose hair, so it is ideal for long-haired cats that are shedding.
Ease of use
This slicker brush is designed to be easy to use. It has a curved head that allows you to glide over your cat’s body. You’ll even be able to remove tangles from hard-to-reach areas. The brush also helps to reduce shedding, which will allow you to keep your home cleaner and prevent furballs.
- Suitable for regular use, allows you to keep your long-haired cat’s fur looking healthy.
- A professional grooming tool
- Flexible wire bristles
- Non-slip handle
- Easy to use
- Can be used to remove mats, tangles, dirt, and loose hair
- Won’t harm sensitive skin; helps to create a shinny, healthy-looking coat
- Durable and hard-wearing
- Perfect for cats that are shedding; prevents furballs
- Too large to be used on kittens and young cats.
- Bristles are a bit sharp, which can be a problem if you are brushing a short-haired cat. It’s also best to avoid the cat’s face so as not to hurt your pets nose, eyes and mouth.
- Can be a pain to remove hair after use, it’s best to use a comb to do so.
If you’re searching for a quick and easy way to give your cat a brush daily, you may like to consider Mr. Peanut’s Hand Gloves. The product is long-lasting and manufactured using soft rubber.
Ease of use
These gloves come in a pack of two and are easy to use. They help remove dead and loose fur and are particularly useful for shedding pets. You’ll be able to remove loose hairs and dirt quickly and easily. Regular use will help keep your home clean during the spring or summer months when shedding occurs.
The gloves can be used for long or short-haired cat breeds and dogs with single or double-coats. They can be used on dry fur or after a bath if you want to wash your pet before grooming.
Mr. Peanuts hand gloves are designed to be one size fits all as they have an adjustable strap which makes them easy to fit. Both gloves can be used together to allow for quick grooming of your pet.
- Removed loose fur from long-haired cats that are shedding
- Helps you keep your home free of fur
- Adjustable; one size fits all
- Manufactured using a flexible mesh with soft, rubber brush
- Can be used to remove dirt and get rid of tangles
- Less intimidating for your pet as they will feel like they are being petted
- Can be used on wet or dry fur
- Easy to clean; can be hand washed and air dried
- Not as effective at detangling very matted fur.
For those of you who have a long-haired cat, such as a Maine coon, that keeps getting tangles or matted fur, we’d recommend the Pet Republic Dematting Rake. This tool is very effective and will demat and thin the fur. It can also be used on dogs and small pets such as rabbits.
How it works
Depending on your grooming preferences, the product has two sides and can easily be flipped over. One side has six stainless steel teeth, making working out tough tangles much easier. The other side can be used to thin the fur and has 11 teeth. This means that you only need one tool for dematting and thinning.
The Pet Rebulblic de-matting rake has been manufactured using good quality materials and is built to last. It’s strong and durable, so it won’t bend and can handle the toughest tangles. The teeth are made from ultra-hygienic metal, which is easy to keep clean and won’t rust.
This de-matting rake has also been designed for ease of use as it has a non-slip handle. This will allow you to groom tangles and reach underneath your cat’s belly easily. The size is also relatively compact, making it easy to use on small to large cats.
The edges of each tooth and blade are rounded so that you won’t nip or cut your pet’s skin. It’s suitable for use on cats with sensitive skin.
- Can be used on all breeds of cats, dogs, and on small pets such as rabbits
- Suitable for cats with long fur, such as Maine Coons
- Allows you to groom quickly and remove dead and loose hairs
- Features dual-sided teeth allowing you to de-mat and thin out your pet’s fur.
- Made from high-quality, hygienic stainless-steel
- Can be used to remove the toughest tangles and mats
- Has a non-slip handle that’s been ergonomically designed
- Rounded edges to protect your cat’s skin; suitable for sensitive skin
- Easy to clean
- Great value for money
- For each purchase, 15% is donated to the American Animal Rescue Society
- The blades can eventually become dull, and the manufacturer doesn’t sell replacement blades. It’s also not recommended that you try to sharpen the blades.
- This product is fairly compact, so it may be time-consuming to use on larger breeds of dogs.
If you’ve recently adopted a long-haired cat and are looking for a complete grooming kit, the FRISCO kit is perfect for beginners. It comes with four tools that will allow you to keep your cats fur clean and healthy and is an excellent value for money. It can be used on cats, dogs, kittens, and puppies with all types of fur.
The set contains
The beginner set contains the following 4-pieces:
A double-sided brush for general grooming, which can be used to smooth long fur. The brush has rounded pins on one side which will penetrate the fur and loosen tangles. The other side has harder, flexible bristles, which will remove dirt and smooth and shine the coat, making it look healthy.
The slicker brush is perfect for long-haired cats as it’s durable and easy to use. It helps reduce shedding and prevents furballs by removing loose hair. This brush also helps to improve overall coat health.
The set also contains a double-sided flea comb with two different sizes of teeth. One side has very fine teeth to remove insect pests, while the other has wide teeth to remove tangles.
The nail scissors are compact, have blunted edges, but are sharp enough to trim cat claws. They are easy to control and have a short blade length to help avoid accidents.
- Great for home grooming, the set has everything you need to get started
- Excellent value for money
- Contains four items: a double-sided brush, slicker brush, double-sided flea comb, and a pair of nail scissors.
- Easy to get rid of tangles, mats, and dirt, remove loose hair, and reduce shedding
- Nail scissors are safe and easy to control
- The fine-toothed comb is very effective for removing fleas and other insect pests.
- The slicker brush does not have a self-cleaning function like many comparable products. This makes it harder to remove all the fur completely.
- The brushes are pretty small, which means the set isn’t suitable for use on a large dog.
Do you wish you could relax while your long-haired cat groomed himself? Adding a few self-grooming pet brushes to wall corners and door frames could be the solution. This product can be easily attached to the wall using an adhesive backing; your cat can rub himself against the brush to be groomed and petted.
Ease of use
These effective brushes have plastic bristles, which will remove dead and loose hair from your cat as he rubs against them. This is perfect for a cat that’s shedding and will mean that there’s less fur laying around your home. The brush can also help prevent furballs and massage your cat’s fur and skin, providing your cat with an always-groomed look.
The Catit self-groomer has also been designed to be easy to clean; you can take the brush out of the frame to remove loose hair. The brush can then be washed in warm water using mild soap or cat shampoo.
This self-grooming brush includes catnip and will entice your pet and encourage him to brush against the bristles.
- Can be easily mounted to the wall, corners, or doorframes.
- Comes with cat nip to encourage cats to brush themselves
- Easy to clean
- Helps with shedding by removing loose hairs
- The product description says that you can attach the brush to your wall using screws; however, these aren’t included in the purchase.
- These brushes will gently groom your pet. However, it’s recommended that you also invest in a slicker brush and give your cat a thorough brushing at least once a week as a self-grooming brush alone won’t be enough to groom a long-hairedd cat.
Best Brush for Long Haired Cats: Buyers Guide
The wide selection of brushes for long-haired cats can make shopping a challenge. Hence, having a buyer’s guide aids you in determining the vital features to look for in an ideal product.
The guide below looks at the essential considerations you should have to ensure you purchase a suitable brush. These factors are the various brush types, materials, and ease of use.
Types of Brushes
Learning the types of brushes and combs available allows you to know the ideal picks for your long-haired friend. They include:
- Bristle brush – The most common brush, helping distribute natural oils across your cat’s body. This brush leaves the fur smooth and shiny.
- Slicker brush – It features a curved design with thin teeth to aid in removing dander, dirt, and loose fur. This brush is also ideal when dealing with matted hair. It removes existing mats while preventing future matting of your cat’s coat.
- Mitt brush – It fits over your hand like a glove and features rubber or vinyl construction. One side incorporates soft teeth that mimic petting when brushing your cat. It helps you eliminate dander and dirt from the cat’s long hair.
- Shedding comb – These combs come in several sizes to suit differing cat hair needs. The comb with teeth spread far apart is ideal for long-haired pets. A shedding comb with teeth closer together is more suitable for short-haired furry friends.
- Dematting comb – This comb has long blades rather than teeth, making them suitable for removing mats.
- Wide-tooth comb – It effectively minimizes mats and tangles in your cat’s long fur. This type helps gently tease the trouble areas without tugging or pulling the skin.
- Self-grooming brush – You attach it to a door frame, letting it clean your cat every time they pass through the space.
Besides brushes, it is best to add scissors and curved nail clippers to your kit for a complete grooming session.
How To Assemble a Grooming Kit
You can assemble a grooming kit by getting a few things. A quality kit includes a:
- Metal slicker brush
- Long dematter
- Pin brush
- Curved nail clipper
- Storage container
It is necessary to evaluate the material used in the brush construction. You want a tool with a sturdy structure that you can depend on for a long time without breaking.
Besides, you want to look at the materials used in the bristles, pins, and handles. Most brushes feature stainless steel bristles or soft plastic pins for comfortable and effective grooming. The handles come in wood or rubber construction for comfortable and non-slip handling.
Ease of Use
You will want to consider the ergonomic features that make grooming easier. For instance, non-slip handles prevent accidents, and a curved grip enhances your palm’s comfort. Some brushes feature angled bristles for precise cleaning while protecting your cat’s sensitive skin.
Another design to think about is the bristle length and strength. You want a brush with firm bristles to get through mats without breaking after a few uses. If your cat has sensitive skin, you want to think about getting a rubbery shedding brush.
It is also essential to examine the ease of cleaning and maintenance. For example, some brushes feature a self-cleaning function. They retract once you push a button, letting you remove hair more comfortably. Other standard tools require regular cleaning for hygiene maintenance.
How To Care for Grooming Tools
Proper tool care means you can hygienically groom your beloved cat for longer. A thorough cleaning is a top tip to help maintain the grooming items. First, remove excess fur from the comb or brush. Afterward, dip the comb teeth or brush bristles into a solution of water and cat-safe shampoo or vinegar.
Rinse the comb or brush with clean water to remove residual dirt and finish by spraying a disinfectant. Dry the tool on a towel or old dish rack, with the bristle side facing down.
Another care tip is to inspect the grooming items for signs of tear and wear. Damage signs indicate the need for a replacement. You also want to store the tools in a dry, warm place to prevent mold growth in damp conditions. You can clean the grooming tools using your discretion. Most routines recommend every one to two weeks.
FAQ: Best Brush for Long Haired Cats
Here are some commonly asked questions about washing, brushing, and grooming a long haired cat.
Tips for brushing a long haired cat
- Start by combing the hair with a wide-toothed comb to remove any knots or tangles.
- Be very careful not to pull on the hair, as this can be painful for your cat.
- Next, use a slicker brush to remove any remaining knots and tangles.
- Finally, use a bristle brush to give the coat a nice shine.
What to do if your cat hates being groomed
- Start by getting your cat used to being handled. Spend some time each day petting and massaging your cat.
- If your cat still hates being brushed, try using a waterless shampoo or conditioner to help detangle the fur.
- If all else fails, you may need to take your cat to a professional groomer.
How often do long haired cats need to be brushed?
Long haired cats should be brushed at least once a week, and more often if possible. If you can’t brush your cat every day, try to at least comb the hair with a wide-toothed comb to remove any knots or tangles.
Should I wash my long haired cat?
It’s unnecessary to wash your long haired cat unless they get dirty or smell bad. If you do wash your pet, use a mild shampoo and conditioner made specifically for cats. Avoid getting water in their ears, and be sure to rinse the fur thoroughly. Afterward, brush the fur to help remove any knots or tangles.
Best Brush for Long Haired Cat: Conclusion
Hopefully, this guide has helped you identify the best brush for long haired cats. With a good quality brush, you can reduce hairballs and shedding, deal with allergies, and keep your house cleaner for longer. But most importantly, your furry friend will be happy for the personal attention.
The product we recommend for long-haired cats is the Four Paws Magic Coat Professional, Slicker Cat Bush as it’s made from good quality materials, is well designed, and is easy to use.
If you’re searching for a great value, ready-made grooming kit, you may also like to check out the Frisco Beginner Grooming Kit, which contains four grooming tools to get you started.