Is an Anthurium Toxic to Cats? Avoid These Plants to Keep Your Pet Safe
This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Is an anthurium toxic to cats? The answer is yes; an anthurium is considered a poisonous plant for cats. If your cat consumes any part of this plant, they may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and swelling of the mouth.
It’s essential to keep your cat safe by keeping anthurium out of your pet’s reach. If you think your cat has ingested any part of an anthurium, please contact your vet immediately as severe symptoms may develop.
Let’s look at why anthurium is toxic to plants, how to protect your pet and what to do if your cat eats part of a poisonous plant.
Anthurium is a genus of tropical plants with showy red or pink flowers. The plant is part of the Araceae botanical family and is found in Central and South America. These plants are commonly kept as house plants worldwide and can be grown outdoors if the climate is warm enough.
The anthurium has broad, green leaves that are glossy. These plants are also known as the flamingo flower, tail flower, painter’s palette, oilcloth flower, pigtail plant, and boy flower. The scientific name is anthurium scherzeranum.
You may know this plant as:
- Flamingo flowers/ Flamingo plant/ Flamingo Lily
- Tail flower
- Painter’s palette
- Oilcloth flower
- Pigtail plant
- Boy flower
Why are anthurium toxic to cats?
All parts of the anthurium plant contain calcium oxalate crystals. These crystals can cause irritation to the mouth, throat, and stomach if ingested.
The toxins can also cause symptoms such as drooling and difficulty swallowing. Your pet may also vomit. These plants are toxic to cats, dogs, small pets and horses.
- Oral irritation
- Pain, redness, and swelling of mouth, tongue, and lips
- Excessive drooling
- Difficulty swallowing
What to do if your cat eats part of an anthurium plant
If your cat eats any part of an anthurium, it’s important to contact your vet immediately. The toxins in the plant can cause severe symptoms in cats, including vomiting, diarrhea, and even heart problems.
If you think your cat has ingested any part of an anthurium, please do not wait to seek veterinary help. The sooner your cat is treated, the better their chances of recovery.
Care for a poisoned cat
If your cat has eaten any part of an anthurium, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. They will likely want to see your cat right away so they can start treatment.
Your vet may give your cat IV fluids and other medications to help with symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea. They may also monitor your cat’s heart rate and rhythm.
In severe cases, your cat may need to be hospitalized for treatment. Most cats recover from anthurium toxicity without any long-term effects with prompt medical care.
Prevention is the best medicine
The best way to prevent anthurium toxicity in cats is to keep the plant out of their reach. If you have an anthurium plant in your home, be sure to keep it in a room that your cat cannot access.
If you have an outdoor cat, make sure the plant is not within their reach either. You may want to consider fencing off your garden or keeping the plant in a pot on a high shelf.
By taking these precautions, you can help to ensure that your cat stays safe and healthy.
Cat-Safe House Plant Alternatives
Instead of risking having your cat ingest anthurium, choose a safe plant that will be better for the health and wellbeing of your pet. Pet friendly house plants can relieve you from stress as you won’t have to worry about your pet having a nibble of the plant.
Here are some examples of cat-safe house plants:
- Parlour palm
- African violets
- Boston ferns
- Prayer plants
Which other plants are poisonous to cats?
Unfortunately, the list of toxic plants is quite long; here are a few common houseplants that are best avoided if you have pets or young children.
Fig trees can be grown indoors or outside, and they’re a popular choice worldwide. They are also commonly referred to as weeping figs or Indian rubber plants.
While they produce tasty fruits, they are also toxic to both cats and dogs. Fig trees contain the toxins Proteolytic enzyme and psoralen. If your pet happens to eat any part of the plant, they may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and skin irritation.
Aloe Vera is a succulent plant that’s often used for skin care products and medicinal purposes. For this reason, many pet owners assume that aloe is safe for pets. While the gel is considered edible, the plant’s skin is toxic as it contains saponins and anthraquinones. These compounds cause stomach discomfort if ingested.
If your pet chews on the leaf of an aloe vera plant, they may vomit, have diarrhea, and seem lethargic. In most cases, the symptoms pass within 24 hours, but it’s worth checking with a vet if your cat has eaten aloe vera.
Lilies are beautiful flowers that are often given as a gift, but they can be deadly to cats. If a cat ingests any part of a lily plant, they can suffer from kidney failure and may die.
There are many varieties of lily, including peace lilies and Easter lilies. As a cat brushes past the plant, the flowers may drop pollen onto the cat’s fur. The pollen can then be accidentally consumed by a cat while washing. Be sure to keep lilies out of reach of your pets. It’s best not to have lilies in your home if you have cats! Interestingly enough, most species of lily are non-toxic to dogs and horses.
Related Article: Are Peace Lilies Toxic to Cats?
Potted orange tree
Orange trees are lovely aromatic plants, but the fruits skin, and leaves of the tree are toxic to dogs and cats. The plant contains Essential oils and psoralens, which are poisonous. If your pet ingests any part of an orange tree, they may experience vomiting, diarrhea, skin irritation, and depression.
Dieffenbachia is a popular indoor plant known for its large variegated leaves. Like anthurium, the plant contains insoluble calcium oxalates, which, if consumed in large enough doses, can prove to be fatal.
The sap from the plant can also cause skin irritation in animals and humans. If your pet chews on a leaf of a dieffenbachia plant, they may experience vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and difficulty swallowing.
Lacy tree philodendron
Philodendrons are common house plants that can harm both pets and children. All parts of the plant are toxic and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures if ingested. They can also cause skin irritation in some people, so be careful when handling your plant.
Like anthurium, philodendrons contain calcium oxalate crystals which are toxic to animals and humans. There are many varieties of philodendron, all of which are poisonous and should be avoided if you have a cat.
Hyacinths are beautiful spring flowers, but they’re also toxic to both cats and dogs. If your pet ingests any part of a hyacinth plant, they may experience intense vomiting and diarrhea, both with blood. Other symptoms include drooling, tremors and depression.
Other popular spring flowers, such as tulips and daffodils, are toxic to cats.
Poinsettia (Christmas star)
The popular poinsettia plant is often used as a Christmas decoration, as it has attractive red and green foliage. The plant is also toxic to both pets and children. If ingested, the leaves and berries of the plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps.
Related Article: Are Poinsettias Toxic to Cats?
Potted Lemon tree
Like an orange tree, the leaves of a lemon plant and the fruit’s skin are toxic to pets. If your cat or dog ingests the leaf, bark, or skin, they may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and depression. Skin irritation may also occur. Pets can eat the fruit (without the skin) and won’t be affected, although most cats probably wouldn’t want to eat lemon!
Bird of paradise
The bird of paradise is a beautiful tropical plant with orange flowers. These plants are toxic to both dogs and cats as they contain GI irritants which are found in larger concentrates in the seeds and fruit. If your pet ingests any part of the plant, they may experience mild nausea and vomiting. You may also notice that your cat or dog is drowsy.
Is an anthurium toxic to cats?: Final thoughts
Anthurium are beautiful plants, but they can be dangerous for cats. If you have an anthurium in your home, be sure to keep it out of your cat’s reach to keep them safe. If you think your cat has ingested any part of this plant, please contact your vet immediately.
If you’re looking for more information about which plants to avoid, read our plant section.