Can Cats Eat Chocolate Cake? Why is Chocolate Toxic to Animals?
This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Can cats eat chocolate cake? Cats and dogs should never be given chocolate as it is toxic to pets and, in the worse cases, can prove to be fatal.
In Latin, chocolate is called ‘theobroma cacao,’ which translates as ‘food for the gods.’ Most people love chocolate, and it’s a popular treat, especially for celebrations such as birthdays, Easter, or Christmas. However, you should never share a chocolate cake or any other chocolate treat with your pet. Chocolate can be toxic to cats and other animals if consumed in large quantities. As cats are smaller than dogs, even a tiny amount of chocolate could cause symptoms and prove fatal.
This article will answer the question, ‘can cats eat chocolate cake?’ We’ll examine why chocolate is toxic to animals and what treatment a cat will need if they have consumed chocolate or cake.
Can cats eat chocolate cake?
You’ve probably heard stories of dogs getting sick from chocolate, but the treat is just as poisonous to cats due to a compound called theobromine. Theobromine and caffeine are the primary toxins found in chocolate that make it dangerous for cats. These two compounds are naturally found in cacao and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, irregular heartbeat, restlessness, dehydration, and even death if large enough quantities are consumed.
The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to cats. Unsweetened baking chocolate and dark chocolate bars contain the most toxins, followed by milk chocolate and white chocolate, with lesser amounts of toxins present. Even small amounts can cause serious health problems for cats, so it’s best to avoid giving them any chocolate cake.
Cats are particularly sensitive to theobromine and caffeine because they metabolize these compounds slower than humans do. This means that it takes longer for their bodies to break down and expel the toxins, leading to a greater buildup in their systems.
Other reasons cake is toxic to cats
Cocoa powder that’s used to make chocolate cake and other baked goods also contains theobromine and caffeine, which can make your cat sick. There are also likely to be other harmful ingredients in chocolate cake, such as fats and sugar.
Xylitol is a sugar substitute that’s often used in baking as it is known to be toxic to cats and dogs. You should keep your cat away from sugary treats such as donuts, cake, and cookies, even if they don’t contain chocolate.
What to do if your cat has eaten chocolate?
If you suspect your cat has eaten any chocolate cake, try to remain calm and contact your vet immediately, even if only a small amount has been consumed. You may notice the following symptoms in your cat, but you should contact a vet even if symptoms haven’t yet developed:
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Heart rate increase
- Excessive thirst and urination
- Restlessness or becoming hyperactive
- A high temperature
- Panting or rapid breathing
- Muscle weakness, twitching, or tremors
- A drop in blood pressure
- In the worse cases, symptoms can develop into seizures, coma, and death
Your vet can help you determine whether or not your cat has ingested a dangerous amount of toxins and provide guidance on how to best treat and monitor them for any adverse effects. Your vet may induce vomiting in your cat to help rid his body of the dangerous toxins. With the right treatment, cats can survive and make a good recovery after eating chocolate.
Can cats eat chocolate cake: Final thoughts
Overall, cats should never be given chocolate cake due to the potential toxins it contains. You should always keep chocolate, cakes, and sweets out of the reach of pets.
If you suspect your cat has accidentally consumed some, consult your vet. With prompt medical attention, cats can fully recover from chocolate poisoning.