Can Cats Eat Sausage? Ingredients to Avoid in Processed Meats

This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.

can cats eat sausage

Can cats eat sausage? It depends on the type of sausage and the ingredients used. In most cases, sausage could be potentially harmful to cats as it is likely to contain ingredients such as salt and seasonings that cats should avoid.

Cats should not eat sausage as it is a processed meat, high in salt and fat, which can be harmful to cats. Eating meats such as sausage, salami, pepperoni, or spam can lead to health problems for your cat in the long term. It’s best to feed your cat a diet of cat food and treats that have been specifically formulated for felines.

This article will answer the question, ‘can cats eat sausages?’ We’ll discuss why it’s best to avoid giving sausages and other types of processed meats designed for human consumption to your cat.

Can cats eat sausage?

can cats eat sausage

As a responsible pet owner, you shouldn’t share meat such as sausage with your pet. If your cat consumes too much salt, it can lead to sodium toxicity in the worse cases. Even small amounts of salt can lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.

Eating too much fat can cause pancreatitis, a severe inflammation of the pancreas. Symptoms of pancreatitis include vomiting, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite. If your cat has any of these symptoms, take them to the vet immediately.

Harmful ingredients that sausages include are:

  • salt
  • fat
  • preservatives
  • additives
  • spices
  • flavorings 
  • Onion and garlic
  • Stringy skins that could be a choking hazard

These ingredients can cause digestive upset, vomiting, and diarrhea in cats. If your cat ingests any of these ingredients, please call your vet right away. 


Consuming too much salt can lead to serious health problems like dehydration and sodium poisoning. The symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and even death. If you think your cat has consumed too much salt, please immediately take them to the vet.


Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning their bodies are designed to digest and use animal-based protein and fat. However, this doesn’t mean that all fats are good for them, and sausages contain large amounts of trans fats. 

Consuming too much fat can lead to pancreatitis, which causes nasty symptoms such as vomiting, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite. 

Preservatives and additives

Processed meats like sausage often contain preservatives such as sulfites and nitrates to extend their shelf life. These preservatives can harm cats and cause digestive upset, vomiting, and diarrhea. 


Many sausages contain spices like garlic, onion, and chili pepper. Onion and garlic are toxic to cats and can cause anemia. Chili pepper can cause gastrointestinal upset and should be avoided. 

Can Cats eat sausage: FAQs

If you find a sausage made exclusively from meat and doesn’t contain toxic ingredients for cats, you could technically feed it to your pet in small amounts. However, it’s unlikely that such as sausage exists. 

Here are some commonly asked questions that pet owners often have about feeding their pets. 

Can cats eat salami? 

Cats can technically eat salami, but it’s not the best choice for them. Salami is high in fat and sodium, which can be detrimental to your cat’s health. It’s best to avoid feeding salami to your cat altogether.

Can cats eat pepperoni?

Pepperoni isn’t a good choice for your cat. The high fat and sodium content in pepperoni can cause digestive problems and potentially lead to obesity. Peperoni is also very salty and can make your pet thirsty. 

Can cats eat spam?

It is important to note that spam is not a nutritionally complete food for cats, so it should be avoided. Spam contains salt and other ingredients which can be harmful to cats if consumed in large quantities.

Can cats eat sausage?: Final thoughts

In conclusion, sausages are not a safe food for cats to eat as they are likely to contain harmful ingredients. If your cat ingests any sausage, please call your vet right away.

When feeding your cat, you should ensure that 90% of their diet is made up of balanced cat food. The other 10% can be treats, but you should only feed your cat plain meat or cat treats, which are healthier than sausages and processed meats.

If you enjoyed this article, share it with your friends!

Recent cat care articles